Is it not strange how often we miss the little things? When you leave something behind, you often prepare yourself for the loss of main, big things, but when it is all gone and you think you have moved on… the little things come back to haunt you.
Some little things I miss of the magical life we left behind to move to Australia.
- Picking Litchies on a summer day.
- Watching the horses roll on the front lawn.
- Picking bunches of roses for the house.
- Talking to random people at shopping centres and the like that I have known since childhood.
- Going to a favourite tea-garden every Friday afternoon.
- Stopping at the fruit market after swimming lessons to buy hot, roasted mielies.
- Waving to familiar people along the road.
- Dancing lessons in an old garage
- Borrowing ‘videos’ from Websters
- Enjoying a cup of Horlicks at Finesse
- Going for afternoon tea to a friend’s house
- Going to the marsh in rainy weather to pick flowers
- Washing my horses and plaiting their manes and tails
- Waking up to Africa
Sometimes the little things are harder to say goodbye to…
Photos are copyrighted to Nicua Smit. Please do not copy